Monday, February 2, 2009

39 Steps, 4 characters, 1 fake snowfall = true love

On Tuesday evening my Intro to London Theatre (spelled the British way :) ) Class went to the Criterion Theatre in West End London to see a play. The 39 Steps is a parody of an Alfred Hitchcock film by the same name.  Pleasantly charming and quite entertaining indeed the play takes you on a whirlwind of an adventure with four different characters playing over a hundred and twenty parts.  

My first experience with London Theatre that wasn't Shakespearean.  While Shakespeare is rather timeless, I must confess this play made (as I am wont to say) "my heart smile."

In the closing scene, two of the actors sprinkle fake snow above the window of the two main characters in a simulated Christmas scene, all very sweet and heartwarmingly cliche in a way that undoubtedly would make you say "awwwww."  All of a sudden, snow starts falling on the audience too.  I was like a little kid on Christmas morning.  Couldn't stop smiling and my heart had a pleasantly warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I've not actually seen the film, but the play was quite lovely indeed.  Til next time then, cheers mates!  

No comments:

Post a Comment